Friday, August 10, 2018

How I painted "Missed You" with just 4 Colors

I received a question by email about how I made the painting I discussed earlier called "Missed you". Another question was about the palette used.

Here's the painting again:
In spite of all the variations of color that you see in the painting, the palette is very limited.

Sell Art Online

I only used titanium white, burnt sienna, burnt umber and a cool ivory black, of white I always have large amounts of these colors (and 3 more) available for painting, because I paint a lot of portraits and human figures..and since mixing creates many more colors with these four for topics other than human flesh.

                        


For this painting, I chose ivory black because it's a cool black, which would give me a bluish gray when I mixed it with white. And blue is the complementary to orange, of which the color of some hair colors is a derivative.

The variations in color and value are achieved by mixing. Every inch of the painting has all four colors mixed together., with predominance of one of them in different areas. For example, then, on the hair, burnt sienna and burnt umber predominate ..but there is black and white in it as well... just less.And there is burnt sienna and burnt umber in the gray background and in the "apparently white light and highlights", just less.

A painting is a sculpture of light...but remember, that light is like water, it seeps through and moistens everything it touches to a larger or lesser extent. Thus, the light of the environment, the reflected light from the objects in space, all acquire the color of each other.There are no absolutes. Creating this
concept with colors gives a more real and dimensional appearance to your painting, regardless of your style.

I only use 2-3 sizes of brushes, and the size of choice, depends on the size of the painting surface (e.g. canvas) and the level of detail I want to achieve.

You may have seen videos of people using fan brushes to paint trees. While this is a crafty shortcut, it does not always produce the most realistic look. Call me an unbeliever! I only use round, flat and rigger types of brushes..basically because I'm familiar with them, they're easy to use and they can do everything that other brushes can do.

I hope this answers your questions! Contact me if you have any more questions I'ld be glad to answer!

Thanks for supporting me by visiting my blog today and by purchasing my art!

No comments:

Post a Comment